In a Crowd of Thousands | Festivals, Shakespearean and Otherwise

While some people go on grand vacations on Spring Break, and others remain at home and hibernate, I often find myself scrambling more than relaxing. You see, Naka-kon is often in that time and, while I haven’t been an avid viewer of anime in a few years, I still get up way earlier than necessary, apply about three pounds of makeup/body paint, and cinch everything into a corset for a weekend of both revelry and pain. Not much different from Ren Fest.

And while I was there, particularly while I was walking around Sunday in a thrown-together costume complete with Sharpie sleeve tattoos and sleep deprivation out the wazoo, it got me thinking. I’ve been to a couple instances of Shakespeare in the Park. Heck, I told myself I’d audition for one when I moved to Topeka (granted that was before I got roped into Ren Fest), and I figure if I need to to dedicate posts to the WUmester, might as well write what I know.
And in this situation, what I know is c o s t u m e s.

Believe me, it takes a whole level of courage/tenacity/whatever you want to call it to be able to go out dressed like anything other than a regular human being. Think of the hours spent making costumes, or the money in buying them. And we’re not necessarily talking dropping $60 on a Halloween store costume and some cream paint makeup. A good corset starts at $100 and don’t get me started on leather work. Heck, I easily dropped $40 on fabric and materials for a project I didn’t even attempt half of. And good costume makeup? Easily $12 on a tiny jar of cosmetic glitter but boy oh boy does it make you sparkle.


But enough complaining about prices. The amount of time and effort put into these costumes is astronomical, all for a gamble of whether or not it’ll go well at the con/festival. It is, without a doubt, a costly artform and the pinnacle of putting yourself out there. Which, considering the theme of the semester is free speech and expression, this brings a new level to expression. To put yourself out there, to put so much time and effort into any project, is worthy of acknowledgment

And here's the part where you may be like 'Cool story, but how does this relate to Shakespeare?' and to that, I say to you - Shakespeare festivals. There's a whole other level of commitment there. Like Renaissance Festivals, that's learning a whole new way of speaking, paying more attention to fabrics and craftsmanship than one ever would with just a regular costume. You're in an area filled with people who are either nowhere near as informed as you are (and likely don't care that much) or people who know far more and aren't afraid to correct things. It's exhilarating, but by those same reasons, it's terrifying. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I am not a Prize to be Won"

A Winter's Tale of Conflict and Contrast

Celebrity Deathmatch: Early Modern Edition