Shakespeare In Love (No, Not the Movie)

I know that the relationships in The Merchant of Venice are all kind of odd and related in some way to discrimination or thievery, but I couldn't help myself but feel happy for these people falling in love. I am married myself, and I have always been a sucker for a good love story, so reading the love-soaked and flirtatious dialogue between Bassanio & Portia and Lorenzo & Jessica was really fun for me. I left out Graziano and Nerissa, mainly because I think Graziano is a big ol' jerk and I have no idea why Nerissa would fall for such a big ol' jerk. Anyway, I'd like to share and discuss some of my favorite romantic lines from Merchant. First, a line from Lorenzo from Act 2, Scene 6:

Beshrew me, but I love her heartily;
For she is wise, if I can judge of her;
And fair she is, if that mine eyes be true;
And true she is, as she hath proved herself.
and therefore like herself - wise, fair, and true -
Shall she be placèd in my constant soul (2.6.53-8).

This is wedding-vow material, people. Lorenzo is clearly crazy about Jessica for the right reasons: she's wise, she's beautiful, and she's trustworthy. Sure, she's proving herself to him by abandoning and stealing from her father, but love makes you do crazy things! Unjustifiable, evil things, in this case, but still. I'd be hard-pressed to deny that what Shakespeare has written here sounds like love.

Next, some dialogue from Portia from Act 3, Scene 2:

Beshrew your eyes!
They have o'erlooked me and divided me. 
One half of me is yours, the other half yours -
Mine own I would say - but if mine, then yours,
And so all yours (3.2.14-8).

While I think this case is probably more of a "lust at first sight" kind of deal, Portia sure is talking like she loves Bassanio. She has fallen so hard for him that she is already willing to devote all of herself to him. I'm only that devoted to God and my wife, and I've known each of them for quite a while. I'm just saying, Bassanio's eyes must be incredible for Portia to be this committed so quickly. Furthermore, Portia makes this comment later in the scene:

With leave, Bassanio - I am half yourself,
And I must freely have the half of anything
That this same paper brings you (3.2.246-8).

The paper she's referring to is the letter that Bassanio gets that tells him of Antonio's fate, so Portia's man is quite upset at this point, and she clearly took notice. Since she has committed to Bassanio, she is willing to take on any of his burdens. Plus, she doesn't just talk about doing so; she gives Bassanio enough money to pay off Antonio's debt, then travels to Venice herself to save her lover's friend, all just to please him (I think). Portia was willing to do so much for Bassanio, and I can't help but admit that she's an inspiration to romantics like me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I am not a Prize to be Won"

A Winter's Tale of Conflict and Contrast

Celebrity Deathmatch: Early Modern Edition